Skip to main content

TNNA: Dispatches from the Show Floor

monkey in disguise.
At last, we made it to Columbus!  We arrived Friday evening, checked into our hotel, and then I scurried off to meet up with my boss Leanne, head honcho at The Wool Wide Web, and Sarah, my fellow telecommuting coworker - both for the first time! It's pretty crazy to trade emails with someone for half of a year before meeting them in person, but we all got along quite well from the start and headed out in search of sushi.  Midway through dinner a torrential rain began to fall, complete with a crazy lightning show that caused the restaurant's power to flicker a few times...good thing we were ordered food that didn't require power to prepare!   Since the rain didn't let up, we flagged down a cab to take us the very short distance to our respective hotels, and I reconvened with my trip buddies, who were enjoying a Jeni's-based dessert back at the hotel. 
n-e-r-d-y.

The next morning, it was time to hit the floor!  The last TNNA trade show in Columbus just happened to be my first-ever show I got to attend. Having spent four years dyeing yarn at Lorna's Laces, I'd heard many a story about the goings-ons at such events, so I had a vague idea of what to expect. If you've ever been to a Stitches event, that's pretty close to what my TNNA experience was like - except the floor isn't cash and carry, so I didn't leave Columbus totally destitute. I squished beautiful yarn like the crazy knitter lady I am, but was somewhat relieved that the temptation to buy was removed from the equation. When it comes to yarn and fiber, I have zero self-control.

My main mission was to talk to as many people as possible about my pet project that I've been working on with Leanne, Yarn Dealer, which is going to officially launch in August. Most of the folks I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in what Yarn Dealer has to offer - the main selling point certainly seemed to be the ability to manage Facebook, Twitter and Ravelry all in one spot. I know that I that feature to be extremely helpful whenever I have to post a new pattern all over the place!  As I filled people in on all the other exciting features we had available and in the works, I handed them a button and then continued on my merry way - I should probably admit that I was REALLY excited about making Yarn Dealer buttons.  Buttons are to indie rock kids as t-shirts are to sorority girls....but I digress.

Mission #2 was to procure more design work for myself, and despite the fact that I didn't have a 'designer' designation on my badge (being that I was there via The Wool Wide Web),  I was able to speak with several people who were interested in working with me some time in the future.

There were some really great booths, but I just wanted to highlight a few to give you a taste:
hungry for yarns....aren't we all??
  • Ysolda created a magical garden party on the show floor, complete with a photobooth and tons of design samples to play dress-up.
  • Imperial Stock Ranch made good use of their corner booth by creating a rustic ranch feel.
  • Berocco had a yarn bar where you could choose from several yarns to try knitting with.
  • Alisha Goes Around turned a lot of heads with an amazing knit polar bear she was kind enough to let me photograph.
  • Scarlet Fleece had several Rebecca Danger monsters hanging around their booth,  and some other great designs courtesy of boothmate Cheryl Beckerich (my favorite being a warm-looking chunky cabled hat)!
  • The ladies at Soak let us rest our tired feet for a bit on Sunday afternoon and recharge with some zippy peppermint Heel foot cream.
TNNA Swag - nothing to sneeze at.
I think the swag was better for retailers or designers (not complaining, just an observation!), but I did get some fun prizes along the way...and also procured a few Sample It! items, too.

We happened by many of the knitterati, usually by accident (which actually means 'while in line at Jeni's)...tried not to be all gushy or interrupt conversations, so I didn't end up taking to a great many of them...which is usually a good situation for me, as I tend to say silly things to people I admire, and then feel embarrassed about it later (great example being the time I talked to Bobby Hecksher after The Warlocks played the Empty Bottle, as Tyler can attest to).

We did the Jeni's thing, had breakfast and lunch at North Market a few times, drank a good amount of local micro-brews, and found some tasty dinner spots along the way....which makes me bummed that it will probably be a very long time before I return to Columbus - but without the excuse of a trade show, visiting family or exploring someplace new is higher in travel priority.

As the dust settles from the show, it's time to focus on designing and getting Yarn Dealer off the ground. You can bet I'll keep you posted!

Comments

  1. YAY! Meeting you was the highlight of my show...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! You are much skilled at wielding the plastic spoons, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b