Skip to main content

Knitter's Bookshelf: Top 3 Tech Editing & Design Resources

Earlier this year, I took the Joeli's Kitchen tech editing course, trained under a tech editor, and edited many patterns which have come out this fall - something I never would have imagined I'd do in the course of just one year, although tech editing has always been of interest to me.

I would definitely say that I am still refining those skills, though some things are easier for me than others. Obviously, my many years of sock knitting mean that I am quite comfortable tech editing a sock pattern, as I know the basic formula for socks backwards and forwards. I've also knit so many hats, cowls, mittens, etc. that almost any accessory pattern resides well within my comfort zone. 

What's been pretty far outside of that zone is sweater patterns. I've made a fair number of sweaters in my 10+ years of knitting, but I would by no means call myself an expert - and I'm definitely not on a sock pattern level of comfort with garments. 

Most of the sweaters I've knit have been seamless top-down construction, though I have made a few seamed sweaters, too. What I found challenging about tech editing sweaters was all of the many, many different types of construction (some of which I have never come across beforehand), and trying to visualize how the written directions would translate into a finished garment. I realized quickly that I would need some really good reference books to help me work through these unusual constructions, and I have found all 3 books to be helpful, not only when tech editing, but also when designing my own patterns or knitting the patterns of others. It occurred to me that others might also find these books as helpful as I have!

This book is jam packed with exactly the kind of stuff I was in need of: formulas, worksheets, schematics - all arranged by the type of construction (or "silhouettes," as the book refers to them). The focus is entirely on garments, with sweaters covered the most in-depth, although there is also a discussion of skirts and dresses in Chapter 6. You'll be amazed at how many variations there are when it comes to shoulders, armholes, necklines, and so many other little details (or perhaps you won't be...but I sure was). 

Other topics covered include planning a design (taking measurements, understanding ease, etc.), choosing yarn and a pattern stitch and translating gauge and measurements into the final design, and finishing techniques such as blocking, seaming, creating buttonholes and adding zippers. 

As the name would imply, this is a master's course on making sweaters, and I'm so glad I invested in a copy, which was just under $20 on Amazon (though I've seen it for less than $10 during Interweave's Hurt Book sale). 

I've had this book for years - I believe I bought it way before I attempted my first handknit sweater. This book is great because it lists general sweater measurements for both child and adult sizes, which is helpful because part of the Tech Editor's job is to also determine whether or not the design's finished measurements are within the realm of reason (basically, we should take note as to whether or not something would be too big or too small for the given sizes). 

The bulk of the book is sweater recipes which can be used at any gauge. The layout of the charts always throws me off when I am getting started, and I always have to flip to the front to reread the section on how to use them. But once I get a refresher, the patterns are easy to follow. Each style of sweater also has some variations to try (the book calls them copycats) by suggesting stitch patterns to substitute in for stockinette stitch. 

There are bottom-up and top-down seamed and seamless styles to choose from; if you are looking for generic recipes for accessories, I highly recommending The Knitters' Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd, which employs the exact same approach to designs for hats, mittens, scarves and socks. Bonus: both books are spiral-bound, which I love! 

3. The Knowledgeable Knitter by Margaret Radcliffe
I just got this book as an early birthday present and was incredibly impressed with it - just by thumbing through and glancing at a few pages, I picked up a few extremely helpful knitting tips. The section which most fascinates me is the second chapter, which talks about how to plan a project. It talks about the order of construction, cast on methods, and how to plan ahead for "perfect finishing." This last item is a really, really cool section because it shows actual knit examples of everything discussed: for example, it has a comparison of 1x1 ribbing knit 3 different ways to clearly illustrate why you would prefer one method over the other two. 

Other topics covered are pattern modifications, shaping and fitting considerations and techniques, fixing mistakes, finishing techniques, borders and embellishments, and more. Everything is clearly illustrated with photos, drawings or schematics, all of which are accompanied by well worded explanations. There are case studies which cover a lot of interesting topics, my favorites being the ones which convert patterns from flat to circular and vice versa. For some of the topics - such as darts for shaping, several options are offered up for consideration, along with a discussion of why one might be advantageous over the other in a given situation. 

If I had to choose one of these books to recommend to a knitter who had absolutely no interest in design or tech editing, I would definitely tell them to check out this book. This is one of those books I'll be turning to any time I get stuck on something, because I am pretty sure that it'll give me better advice that whatever random thing comes up on Google (not that there's anything wrong with turning to the interwebs for knitting help!). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b