Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Weaving Wednesday: A Successful Scarf!

On Monday, I shared a review on the weaving class I took on Craftsy; today for Weaving Wednesday, I want to share more photos of my class project, a stash-busting scarf using leftover scraps of yarn.

IMG_7237

I got overly ambitious for this project, which is only the second piece of weaving I've created on my Flip loom - but that didn't stop me from trying to be fancy and doing a multicolored warp!

IMG_2375

While I'm pleased with the overall effect, I would definitely take more care to choose yarns that have similar fiber content. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how I pulled this project off, because I was not experienced enough to deal with the wide variance in tension for each yarn in the warp. It was pure luck that it all worked itself out.

IMG_7195

I had to order a different heddle for this project, and while I waited for it to arrive, I wound a lot of different yarn scraps onto the stick shuttle in the order that I thought I would use them. It worked for a while, but then I started to change my mind as I wove and it became annoying to unwind the yarn I didn't want to use, and then wind on the yarn I did want to use. For my next stash-busting scarf, I will definitely wind yarns onto the shuttle as I use them so that the colors are more spontaneous (and, by the way, is what Angela did in the Craftsy class - so now I know it's for good reason!!).

IMG_7224

Both of these lessons seem like obvious "oh, DUH!" moments, but in my excitement about learning how to weave and my zeal to make this project, I totally lost sight of such important details. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes and avoid learning these lessons the hard way!

IMG_7202

The finished scarf has tons of imperfections, and yet it turned out 3000% better than I thought it would - I love it! And I can't wait to weave more scrappy scarves to eliminate those leftover bits and bobs in my stash.

If you're curious about weaving, I encourage you to check out my review of the Rigid Heddle Weaving class I took on Craftsy, which is what this project is from. Weaving is super fun, easy and FAST - and if I can do it, anyone can!

2 comments:

  1. It is so good to see the resurgence of weaving. I learned to weave back in the 1970's. That time period brought many into the world of weaving. There are still a % of us around. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am totally obsessed...it's so fun and fast! My only regret is waiting this long to give it a try!

      Delete